GRO Series Brooder heaters are designed to provide infrared heat in swine and poultry houses the same way the sun heats our earth. Heat from the brooder burner radiates warmth directly toward the litter, flooring and animals below it without heating the air first, resulting in reduced fuel consumption and increased animal comfort. The GRO40 and GRO40HP series heaters are designed for poultry house heating and the GRO17000 brooder provides exceptional performance in both poultry and swine applications.
- Brooders provide multiple heat output locations in barns, providing redundancy and continued warmth if a unit fails to light or otherwise stops operating.Radiant heat works like the sun, warming the animals and litter below it without warming the air first.
- Brooder heaters produce a zone of heat that ranges in intensity, allowing animals to move to an area they feel most comfortable.
- The radiant heat from brooders help dry out the poultry litter below them which helps reduce ammonia levels and produces a thermal reservoir that stores heat and maintains a warmer litter area.
- All GRO Series brooder heaters are CSA Certified for safe and efficient operation.
The GRO40 series brooder is a 40,000 BTU/Hr unit designed to provide increased resistance to corrosion from humidity, ammonia, dust and moisture. Improved design features mean lower maintenance requirements, greater reliability and improved durability flock after flock in the operating conditions of today’s modern poultry facilities.The GRO40 brooder series are constructed of corrosion resistant materials to help extend service life in modern poultry house environments. DSI (Direct Spark Ignition) dual fuel LP/NG model (shown) includes a moisture resistant enclosure to protect the control module.
- The stainless steel burner chamber, emitter assembly, mounting brackets and gas lines provide increased corrosion resistance and longer life compared to other materials
- The DSI model brooder features a black plastic moisture-resistant enclosure that houses the ignition control module to protect it during grow-out and wash down
- The aluminum deep dish canopy is corrosion resistant and reflects heat toward the litter where it is needed most
- The Direct Spark Ignition (DSI) model brooder features a dual fuel gas regulator, allowing the heater to operate using either propane or natural gas with a simple adjustment. This new feature eliminates costly retrofit expenses involved with switching gas valves and orifices if production requirements change
- A safety pan below the burner helps shield the litter area directly beneath the brooder
- Pilot light models uses the patented Windbuster™ Pilot System and have an easily removable shield that permits quick access to the pilot orifice for lighting and cleaning
- The stainless steel burner assembly is easily disassembled for cleaning, and the main burner orifice is easily removed by sliding a quick release bracket, reducing maintenance time and increasing operating life
The 60° emitter angle of the GRO40 brooder effectively directs heat toward the litter and birds underneath it.
- The GRO40 brooder features a unique 60° emitter angle that combined with the deep dish aluminum canopy puts more radiant heat into the primary brood area, resulting in fuel savings and fewer total brooder units to meet heating requirements.
- Radiant heat warms the birds and litter directly below it without having to heat the barn air first, resulting in fuel savings and the ability for birds to move to a zone of heat under the brooder that is most comfortable to them
- The stainless steel emitter assembly is fully insulated and enclosed to prevent the insulation from crumbling or otherwise becoming distorted during the heater’s lifetime
- The fully enclosed insulation in the emitter increases durability and also prevents heat loss back through the emitter that would otherwise happen if insulation wasn’t kept in place
Ignition & Fuel Options
GRO40 brooders are available in both Direct Spark Ignition (DSI) and Pilot Light options to meet the needs of various production environments. DSI model brooders save fuel that would normally be used by the pilot flame. A house with 14 brooders can use up to 5.8 gallons of fuel per 24 hour period just to keep pilot lights lit.
- Direct Spark Ignition (DSI): A 3-try direct spark ignition control for single or multi-zone installations. Gas valve includes a built-in regulator. A 24 volt power supply is required. Zone control panel and/or 24 volt thermostat, computer or environmental controller is required. For individual control, a unique thermostat is available. Dual fuel valve allows Propane (LP) or Natural Gas operation with a simple adjustment.
- Pilot Ignition (Control # 2): For single or multi-zone installations using central or multiple thermostats. This 24 volt AC zone type control can also operate using a 12 volt DC inverter as a backup. The gas valve includes a built-in regulator. A 24 volt power supply is required. Zone control panel and/or 24 volt thermostat, computer or environmental controller is required. 100% gas safety shut-off valve. Propane (LP) and Natural Gas options available.
- Pilot Ignition (Control # 3): A modulating type HI/LO control with integral thermostat. No electrical supply is needed. Upon call for heat, the valve will open from pilot to low fire (25,000 BTU/Hr.) and modulate between low and high fire as necessary to maintain a desired temperature setting. When thermostat has been satisfied, valve will modulate down to low fire and then drop to pilot. 100% gas safety shut-off valve. Propane (LP) operation only.
- Pilot Ignition (Control # 9): An individual, non-electric, fully-automatic On/Off control with integral thermostat which operates on millivolts generated by the pilot - no electrical supply needed. Integral thermostat features a wide temperature range for easy adjustment. 100% gas safety shut-off valve. Propane (LP) and Natural Gas options available.
The GRO40HP brooder heater features the same great corrosion resistant construction benefits of the standard GRO40 brooder in a high-pressure unit that delivers a true 40,000 BTU/Hr to ensure your birds have plenty of heat, even on the coldest days.
- The GRO40HP features a unique pressure reduction design that makes it the perfect replacement for existing high-pressure broodersThe GRO40HP brooder operates on high-pressure gas supply, making it an ideal replacement for existing high-pressure brooders in retrofit applications.
- The high-pressure operating design eliminates the need for an air filter, decreasing maintenance times and costs every flock
- GRO40HP brooders feature a reliable 3-try 120V Direct Spark Ignition (DSI) system that saves fuel compared to pilot light units. Each brooder includes a 10 feet long 120V power cord.
- Suitable for single or multi-zone installations. A 110 volt power supply is required. Zone control panel and/or 110 volt thermostat, computer or environmental controller is required.
- Propane (LP) and Natural Gas models are available
The GRO17000 brooder is a great infrared heating option for both pigs and poultry, emitting radiant heat across a broad circular area. The GRO17000 brooder is a pilot light unit that doesn’t require electricity to operate, and is an ideal replacement unit for existing high-pressure brooders.
- A stainless steel burner system and canopy provide superior corrosion resistance and additional strength to resist damage if brooders are relocated
- A unique double gas burner system combusts dust and carbon to help prevent internal build-up, eliminating the need for an air filter. (A corrosion resistant stainless steel air filter kit is available for use in extremely harsh environments)The GRO17000 brooder is constructed of corrosion resistant stainless steel and features a unique double burner system that eliminates the need for an air filter under normal operating conditions.
- The burner orifice holder is easy to access, clean and wash down between groups of animals
- Propane (LP) and Natural Gas models available
Hi/Lo Heating Options
The GRO17000 brooder features a two-orifice burner system that can modulate between high and low heat output, reducing fuel consumption by up to 20% while maintaining a two degree temperature differential from the set point. The high and low output orifices are optimized to maintain clean combustion at both heating levels. Hi/Lo output operation requires the use of a Hi/Lo control panel.
Thermostat & Control Panel Options
The GRO17000 is available with two thermostat and three control panel options to manage heater output during operation.
- Individual Thermostat Control: The individual thermostat control mounts to the brooder unit and provides a convenient way to manage ambient temperature control
- Remote Individual Thermostat: The remote individual thermostat control includes a 4’ wired sensor that can be lowered close to the litter level for more precise reading of floor level temperature
- Non-Electric Modulating Controller: This control panel requires no electricity to operate and automatically controls the output level of the brooder based on the thermostat’s requirement in a zone heating installation
- Hi/Lo Modulating Control Panel w/ Thermostat: Available with a digital or electromechanical dial thermostat, this control panel manages heat output of the GRO17000 brooder by switching between high and low heat output as heating needs change.
- Hi/Lo Modulating Control Panel w/o Thermostat: To be used with a house controller, this control panel manages heat output of the GRO17000 brooder by switching between high and low heat output as heating needs change. Must be hardwired to 110v power source.